Celebration of Excellence
DISTINGUISHED STUDENTS AND EDUCATORS 2017
The Celebration of Excellence recognizes one of the goals of the Helena Education Foundation: public recognition of extraordinary public school students and outstanding educators. By honoring achievements of these individuals, the Board of Directors hopes to:
- Demonstrate community appreciation for the efforts of public school students, educators and parents;
- Acknowledge the critical partnership among schools, home, business and the community;
- Provide a positive reinforcement for younger students and goals for which they can strive;
- Involve the community and business in building awareness and confidence in our public schools.
2017 Distinguished Students
We recognize exceptional students who have demonstrated their efforts in the classroom, school, and community day after day, year after year. Distinguished Scholars are selected on the basis of criteria developed by students, teachers and administrators, including GPA, number of high-level courses, total credit hours and activities.
Qualifications for Distinguished Scholars
- MINIMUM 3.7 GPA
- BY THE END OF THE 7TH SEMESTER, a minimum of 12 credit hours of honors, AP, accelerated or college level classes as listed here.[Qualifying Classes for CHS and HHS]
- MINIMUM 23 total credit hours by the end of the 7th semester
- Enrolled and physically present in the Helena Public Schools his or her senior year, unless already graduated
- MINIMUM two extra-curricular activities (those not required by a class or for which a grade is given)
Nominations for Distinguished Achievers
Educators identify Distinguished Achievers based on excellence in a specific curricular area, leadership, overcoming obstacles to achievement or service.
A Celebration of Excellence also honors the Distinguished Educators who join students at the gala. Each student identifies the educator who has had the most positive impact on his or her life and writes a short message about why that educator was selected. Each educator selects a special book for the Distinguished Student which he or she felt would be meaningful in the coming years.
The Helena Education Foundation salutes these fine educators and thanks them for sharing their talents, knowledge, creativity and love of learning with our youth. They make a difference in our schools and community, one student and one class at a time.
If you are interested in sponsoring the Celebration of Excellence, please contact Lisa Cordingley at email@example.com or 443-2545.
We also take this opportunity to acknowledge another important partnership – the role of the Helena community in a successful public education system. Thanks to the many community members, businesses, service groups and friends of the Helena Education Foundation who sponsored these exceptional students and educators as their guests this evening. Please thank them for their support.