January 22, 2010
8:30 -3:30 p.m.
4th Floor of the Compass Block
Great Northern Town Center
The Leadership Institute will include three sessions with a lead speaker for each of three subject areas, with commentators for each category. The lead speaker will make his/her remarks available to the responding panel members prior to the event.
8:30-10:00 a.m. ECONOMICS OF POST SECONDARY COMPLETION:
Jim Applegate – Lumina Foundation, Indiana
International Competitiveness- Why the U.S. needs to expand post secondary education opportunities and completion rates to maintain a global competitive edge.
- Brad Eldredge – Flathead Valley Community College, MT
- Arnie Sherman-Executive Director, Montana World Trade Center
- Dan Villa – Governor’s Office, MT
10:15-11:45 SOCIAL JUSTICE OF POST SECONDARY ASPIRATION AND ACCESS:
Chris Lohse – Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Why is it a matter of social justice to increase access to post secondary education?
- Everall Fox – Hays-Lodge Pole Schools, MT
- Bruce Messinger – Superintendent, Helena School District, MT
- Dan Benge – Montana State University, Billings
- Tom Mortenson – PELL Institute, Iowa
12:00-1:00 p.m. – Lunch with Larry Swanson, University of Montana
Economic Climate in Montana
Lunch at the Great Northern Hotel Conference Center
1:30-3:00 INCREASING ASPIRATION AND ACCESS:
Ann Coles, ACCESS, Boston, MA
Article of Note: Removing Roadblocks to Rigor
“Identifying strategies that work for motivating high school students to strive for post secondary education”
Pathways to College
- Sandy Merdinger- Montana Gear Up
- Kay Hiner and Aubrey Miller-Harlowton, MT
- Montana College of Technology-Student perspective, TBA
- Rick Hays –Retired business executive, Helena, MT
- Corey Sterling–MSU Student
- Jade Vaile-UM Student
- Denise Juneau, Superintendent of Public Instruction, MT
- Sheila Stearns, Commissioner of Higher Education, MT