1. To acknowledge the importance of good writing in today’s world
2. To stimulate interest in developing excellent writing skills
3. To recognize students who excel in writing and language arts
Four awards of $250 each will be given annually. One award for expository writing and one for creative writing will be given at Helena High School/PAL and one in each category at Capital High School.
All Helena Public School students in grades 9 – 12 are eligible.
1. Students wishing to submit writing for the Harrison Writing Award should follow the submission procedures for Pen & Ink, indicating on the submission form whether their writing is to be considered for the Harrison Award or for Pen & Ink or for both.
2. For Pen & Ink a student may submit several pieces of writing in either category of expository or creative writing, but for the Harrison Writing Award a student may submit only one piece, either in expository or creative. A separate submission form should be attached to each piece of writing.
3. For the Harrison Writing Award the writing sample is limited to one piece of up to five (5) pages but can include excerpts of a longer piece. Poetry submissions can include a selection of poems not exceeding five (5) pages. Samples must be typed in a minimum of 12-point font and double-spaced.
4. Writing may be submitted:
a. to teachers who will forward them to Mrs. Davidson at Capital
b. directly to Mrs. Davidson
c. electronically on the labshare network or directly to email@example.com.
5. Submissions for the Harrison Award will be judged by a committee of professional writers in the Helena community, chaired by a member of the Helena Education Foundation.
6. The deadline for submissions is February 13, 2009.